School in UK seeking pen pals!

Teacher Forums

School in UK seeking pen pals!

• rated by 0 users
  • This post has 8 Replies |
  • 10 Followers
  • Hello everyone!

My name is Heather and I teach gifted students ages 6-14 at a school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  I have proposed a project that some of you may be interested in participating in.  My students have already begun and are very excited about the possibility of sharing their work with children all over the world.  Here is the project:

Create an ABC book about the area where you live.  For example, in Philadelphia, the student that received the letter "L" is going to make a book page about the Liberty Bell Center.  Half of the page would include information about the Liberty Bell and the other half would show a picture.

This can be a great way for students to practice their English skills, as well as enhance their technology, writing, researching, cultural, and history skills.  Please let me know if you are interested.  Once each classroom is finished their book, I am planning to make a wonderful online resource that displays ABC books from all over the world.

Thanks,

Heather 

• Hi Joanne -

It looks like you have many opportunities already, but I am still trying to find ePals for my middle school students. We are from Milford, Massachusetts, not far from Boston. I have about 100 students, ages 11-12, a heterogeneous group of diversity and differing abilities. 

Are you interested in trying the ePals project called The Way We Are? It looks easy to undertake and would both guide our students' correspondence and allow plenty of opportunity to share cultural information. It also looks like a lot of fun.

Please let me know. I can begin the second week of January.

Marilyn Gilman

Grade 6 - Stacy Middle School

mfgilman@epals.com

• Hi!  I am located in North Carolina in the US and have a small class of students w/ special needs.  They have my class for Curriculum Assistance.  They are ages 14-16.  What ages do you teach?

Joy

•  

Hello Olga:

I am an English / Social Studies teacher at a small international high school in Hong Kong. Many of our students will be going to the U.S., Canada or Australia for college, and the English level is pretty good.

One of my classes is an 8th Grade Social Studies, and we are learning about different kinds of maps. We would very much like to exchange maps and information with your students by e-mail, if that could be arranged.  I have set up a Google Blogger site with a rather thorough description of this as a project, and if any your students would like to"get in on some of the action", it would be great!

Please check out: http://welearnhere.blogspot.com/2010/11/why-in-world-do-we-need-different-types.html and let me know what you think.

Best from Hong Kong,

Peter Neu

• Hi, Ms. Joanne,

My name is Ms. Chia-hu, Yang and I have a class of 50 7th graders.  Our school is a public junior high school in Taiwan, Asia. Chinese is our tongue and English is our second foreign language. Students level are gifted. They are interested in English and culture learning. We have a plan to collaborate with the English-speaking peers and exchange some ideas and discuss topics via video and even on-line conference. The date we plan is from October to December, 2010. If our cooperation goes well, we will build a long term collaboration with yours. Looking forward to your join.

Warmest,

Ms. Yang

• Hi Joanne,

My name is Jean Earhart, and I teach 3rd grade (8-9 year olds) in Vernon Hills, Illinois (a northern suburb of Chicago). 

Our classroom website = http://www.hawthorn73.org/~earhartj/Classroom_Site/Welcome.html

A couple of years ago my class teamed up with another from London, and we had a blast!  They were thrilled to see how much they had in common with kids who live "on the other side of the world!"  It is my desire this year to offer my students that same opportunity -- to develop ePal friendships as they learn about kids from another country/culture, and come to realize how very similar we all are!  Please let me know if you are interested.  Thanks! Jean E.

• Hello Joanne,

My name is Olga Nestina. I'm a teacher of English. I live in Moscow, Russia and I work at a school for gifted children. My students are in 8 grade level, they are 14-16 years old. Their first level is Russian, but they have been learning English as their 2nd language for 7 years. This year we are going to study English speaking countries and are looking for ePals anywhere in Britain. We would like to know what it is like living in other countries. What is similar what is different? They would like to collaborate with classes interested in working with a partner classroom on a collaborative project about the environment and global awareness, as well. We are interested in forming a school link with Doroty Goodman School. You will meet an enthusiastic class and teacher. We look forward to hearing from you.  Best wishes, Olga

• Hi Joanne

What age group do you teach?I teach 5th and 6th graders in Michigan and I am originally from Liverpool.We have a big focus on community service and environmental awareness-would this be a good fit for you?

Pauline

• Hi, I would like to take a moment to introduce myself and the school in which I work. My name is Joanne Stewart and I live in Leicestershire England. I work at a Special Needs School teaching English and Art. We have a range of different students and abilities all of which really enjoy coming to school. We are in the process of applying for the International Schools Award and are looking for a school that we can form a personal pen pal link with, share photos, drawing with etc. Our students are very excited about being able to write to children somewhere else in the world and find out about how other people live. If you would be interested in forming a school link with Dorothy Goodman School then it would be great to hear from you. Many thanks Joanne x

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)